PDA

View Full Version : Robin Hood (2010)

Klaus
12-01-2010, 10:33 AM
I didn't hate this movie as much as I expected I would. It was actually a refreshing change to the normal telling of the RH story. Kinda dark IMO. Anyone else like it?

Naya
12-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Luke and I watched it a week or so ago and we liked it. I thought it was good, and I also enjoyed that it wasn't the happy, light-hearted telling of the same story again.

Jomama
12-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Uff... Terrible imo.. No real story.. Just wanted it to end...

Klaus
12-01-2010, 11:29 AM
I had heard it was really bad and almost didn't rent it but it turned out to be a decent story. Of course it's a set up for a sequel but what isn't these days?

Jomama
12-01-2010, 11:56 AM
You're crazy, I hadn't been that bored in a movie in a while.. Downloaded it on a whim, waste of bandwidth imo...

Klaus
12-01-2010, 12:10 PM
lol you saw it before me, what does that say. I bet you had it the day of release :)

Chadwick
12-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Worth a rent. Nothing Special.

Jomama
12-01-2010, 04:51 PM
lol you saw it before me, what does that say. I bet you had it the day of release :)

Nah, right before or when it was released on BR I found a 720p rip so gave it a shot.. Wasn't even worth reviewing, worst Ridley Scott movie ever imo, but it's his third top grossing film (of whats listed on Wiki, some films dont show $$$$) if you can believe it, behind Gladiator and Hannibal.

Naya
12-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Jo, have you seen a movie in the last 10 years that you DID like? More than just a little bit?

Klaus
12-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Jo, have you seen a movie in the last 10 years that you DID like? More than just a little bit?

Boondock Saints I think he did but that was several years ago.

Kyrillian
12-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Joe loved Boondock Saints, he talks about it more than Boondock.

Jomama
12-01-2010, 09:18 PM

:confused: I love film, there are tons of films I love, and have seen a completely ridiculous # of them, i even finish most bad ones (hehe).... Maybe I haven't posted many positive reviews here but thats just a combination of randomness of whats been reviewed, taking the time to post, and the still short life of this forum..

But I'm also not throwing out five stars for rehashed mediocrity just cause its got some new shiny special-FX... And of course, like anyone else I just have my own tastes, and it isn't very mainstream..

lol...

Never been so disappointed..

Jomama
12-01-2010, 09:40 PM

For the record, just on this here forum:

Inception
Iron Man 2
Restrepo
The Informant (comment in Men Who Stare at GOats thread)
Kick Ass
The Hangover
It Might Get Loud
Cop Out
Moon
Hellboy 2
District 9

So honestly, I don't know wtf you are even talking about...:D

There are also many I liked that I didn't post in, guess I just missed them in this schizophrenic movie section split into two parts with redundant reviews...

Kyrillian
12-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Also in private conversations Joe has expressed his love for Step Up 3-D to me.

Jomama
12-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Also in private conversations Joe has expressed his love for Step Up 3-D to me.

Hey, I told you that in secret after you shared your obsession with that Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants movie...

Kyrillian
12-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Wow we were just talking about horrible movies we were forced to watch by women. I'm sad because I've actually seen Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I took a 2 hour shower after that because I felt so dirty.

Naya
12-02-2010, 01:23 PM
I think we all might have felt dirty after that one, Kyr ...

Only reason I asked, Jo, is because I don't know if I've seen a positive comment on a movie from you in quite a while.

All the movies you listed, with the exception of 1 or 2, are great movies.

My ability to like The Hangover was ruined by all the people that over-hyped it. I could not get over the fact that it was supposed to be piss-your-pants fucking hilarious, and so I went in to the movie thinking this, and only chuckled in a handful of scenes. Zach Galifianakis was the best part of that movie. :P

Kyrillian
12-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Naya I felt the same way after the first time I saw the Hangover. I recently watched it again and found it to be a lot funnier than the first time.

Ender
12-02-2010, 02:53 PM
I really liked the new Robin Hood movie actually. Kind of like a Robin Hood "begins" like they did with Batman. Probably the best thing about this movie was actually the supporting cast. The actors who played Little John, Will Scarlet, and Friar Tuck were great.

It seems like they tried to closely link the Robin Hood legend with historical accuracy, but aside from how Richard the Lionheart died, it wasn't very historically accurate. They basically made up the Godfrey character as a villain, as he is not a historical person of that time who betrayed England somehow or a character from the Robin Hood stories. The famous Godfrey was from the First Crusade who ended up being the king of Jerusalem after it was captured. Also, King John did actually sign the Magna Carta with the Barons to prevent war with them.

They probably could have just stuck with the more well known Robin Hood story of him "robbing from the rich and giving to the poor" as an opponent to King John's extreme taxation. But that might not have made for as good of an action movie. I still liked it though.

Jomama
12-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Only reason I asked, Jo, is because I don't know if I've seen a positive comment on a movie from you in quite a while.

Only a woman would restate a false premise after being shown the actual facts of the matter... ;):D

I would of liked to see the movie based on the source material Ridley Scott started out with, called Nottingham, and told from the perspective of the Sheriff of Nottingham being the protagonist... and Robin Hood being the antagonist... It would of been new, and not a repackaged version of Gladiator/Arthur/Troy/KingdomofHeaven etc... etc... etc...

Sylvester
12-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Naya I felt the same way after the first time I saw the Hangover. I recently watched it again and found it to be a lot funnier than the first time.

I agree, much funnier the 2nd or 3rd time you watch it. Especially Ken Jeong

Klaus
12-02-2010, 09:22 PM
I own the damn movie but it was such a let down I haven't watched it a 2nd time yet.

Naya
12-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Only a woman would restate a false premise after being shown the actual facts of the matter... ;):D

I didn't say that you HADN'T posted a positive comment about a movie in a while. I said I asked because I didn't know. Hadn't seen your reviews on those movies you listed. (Except maybe Inception ...)

Only a man would take a woman's words and twist them around to satisfy his argument ;)

Eric
12-17-2010, 04:04 PM

This made me lol