PDA

View Full Version : Up in the Air

Kyrillian
04-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Watched this last night and it was pretty good. It's not a laugh riot or anything but it's got plenty of humor and charm. Jason Reitman has a gift for making these movies about unexceptional stories interesting. He also takes characters that are borderline unlikeable and makes them charming.

He also has a real talent for picking the casts of his movies. Some of his Juno stars came back (Jason Bateman, JK Simmons). In Up in the Air George Clooney is the seasoned road warrior, Vera Farminga is his female clone and also love interest, and Anna Kendrick is the up and coming kid at his company that he has to train.

This movie was a lot more complicated than Juno, there are a lot of metaphors and hints at underlying parts of the story. For example, they hint that Clooney has cancer early in the movie but never really mention it again, so you don't know if he really does or what. Then at the end of the movie the last scene is him letting go of his carry on bag followed by a voice over by him while the camera pans over some clouds, possibly hinting that he died but never really saying it.

Overall I give the movie a 4 out of 5, definitely worth watching but I wouldn't watch it again.

Klaus
04-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Interesting. I will check this out - heard it was dogshit.

Kyrillian
04-19-2010, 09:21 AM
I would recommend it as a good movie to watch on a date night. It's got enough drama and chick flick elements to keep the wife/gf/fiance/gay bf interested and enough humor and interesting characters to keep you interested.

Definitely not a movie you want to watch with a group of dudes and a case of beer.