PDA

View Full Version : She's Out of My League

Kyrillian
03-29-2010, 12:58 PM
This movie was completely terrible. It tries to play the dude chick flick angle like Wedding Crashers and fails miserably. The key to the dude part of being a chick flick is that it actually be funny, which it is not.

Most of the jokes are made at the expense of Jay Baruchel and how much of a loser he is. They usually fall flat though and they never really make his character likeable, so you don't really care if he gets the girl or not.

The only joke in the movie that is remotely funny is something that was in the red-band trailer.

They also try to add in a couple of text-book characters for laughs, like the crazy friend who will say/do anything (think Jason Lee in Mallrats, Seth Rogen in 40 year old Virgin, etc.). The guy playing that part in this movie seems to be channeling his best impression of Jason Lee and never really does or says anything funny.

I didn't have high expectations for this movie, and didn't even plan on seeing it. Then I was listening to ESPN Radio on my drive in and Mike Golik mentioned how he had to see it now because his sons said it was hilarious from start to finish. Not only was it not hilarious, but I can't recall laughing once. Thanks for wasting my time Golik's kids you little d-bags.

I give this a 0 out of 5. Anything even close to funny was in the trailer and they managed to assemble a group of characters no one would care about. Also the girl who is supposed to be OMG SO HOT, isn't even that great. Decent body but the face isn't that impressive and the whole movie treats her like she's a 15 out of 10.

Eric
03-29-2010, 03:32 PM
I was going to put this on my "Surprises of 2010" but even the preview didn't look funny/original so I left it off all lists.

I like Jay Buresechbel but he's a little bit like Michael Cera in that he's totally typecast as the scrawny d-bag loser guy. I think they will both become A-list actors when they branch out which imo means they need to start eating some food and hitting the gym...

Kyrillian
03-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Michael Cera is a likeable nerd though, even though I don't particularly care for him since he's been the same character in 20 movies (hoping Scott Pilgrim changes that).

Jay Baruchel is just fucking annoying. I don't root for him to win in any scenario because I just want to punch him in his stupid face.

Chadwick
03-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Might grab it on netflix...

Gotta say Alice Eve gives me a rod...

gigi
04-01-2010, 04:50 PM
lol Rich calm down! eat a cookie!

Dath
04-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Spot on with the review for the most part. I didn't hate it completely, but I was also 9 beers in when I went to see it.

The thing you hit on the head was with the girl. They made her out to be the most gorgeous woman ever and she very average. I think Willas had a hotter stripper up in MN...

All in all, this movie might only be useful as background noise during a get together in which nobody watches for longer than 2 minutes at a time.

Jomama
07-22-2011, 01:30 AM
I'm kinda half watching this right now... Its pretty bad, and even worse than the plot/dialog/characters etc.. Its the cinematography or w/e you want to call it... Its distracting... I suppose it could be the conversion for cable (but its HBO), but there is a ton of cheap looking edits and pan & scans... it looks like like some third rate kids afternoon special or something... WAY low budget...